Saturday 4 August 2012

Readers Theatre

Reader’s theatre is something I tried in earnest, teaching Shakespeare’s work in ENG 2D. I don’t know how successful I was, because after reading the information provided in Module 5.1, and on page #419 of Tompkins’ text, I realize how much more I could have done with it. One of the concepts that I rarely enacted was having students pre-read the material. Sometimes I wonder if I just had them read certain acts just to get them over with. Perhaps I encouraged their lackluster approach to the Twelfth Night by the way I was teaching. Thinking how junior students can benefit from this reading strategy – knowing what I know now, and after completing the Second City Improvisation program – is striking. I think the possibilities for all readers, especially weak readers, are enormous. First, roles are picked by the teacher and are ability driven. In other words, teachers have the chance to put students in positions to succeed, something that might not be possible having them read silently at their desks. Also, audience members have the opportunity to interpret the text in multiple ways: once by reading the text, and then again watching how others interpret it orally. Based on my reading and limited experience, it seems that students really enjoy activities of this nature that one might consider “outside the norm”. It gives students the opportunity to explore their creative sides, by experimenting with different voices and (restrained) gestures. And finally weak readers have the added benefit of practicing their lines beforehand to help ensure their reading fluency and expression.
I believe that this strategy is beneficial, and appeals to all students. The added bonus is that boys appear to respond positively to this strategy. After teaching high school English, and coaching a variety of age-groups (in a variety of sports), I recognize the importance of grabbing the attention of males early when it comes to evoking a longing for literacy. I think Reader’s Theatre accomplishes this partly because it gets boys to break out of their shell during the learning process. I was perusing a few websites and came across one that presents some information that seems fairly credible -   http://www.freereaderstheater.com/literacy-instruction-for-boys.html. The information - compiled by Dianna Cleveland – alludes to the idea that boys typically enjoy reading activities that are social and reading activities that allow active participation and instruction. In my experience, boys seem to have short attention spans when it comes to literacy. However, some of the strategies/modifications to Reader’s Theatre that Tompkins brings forth should help counteract this. My favourite idea presented is having students position themselves around the room – when it is their time to speak they really have the opportunity to command the room. This strategy keeps the audience alert because they must turn their heads (and bodies) with the flow of the script. There is no excuse for keeping your head on the desk!!!
All that being said, what really brings Reader’s Theatre off the page is the works selected to be used for this strategy. Besides Shakespeare..., I think works that have a variety of characters would be beneficial. Students enjoy the opportunity to ‘play’ someone else – and I believe they would have fun playing characters that can be interpreted in multiple ways. Moreover, I think works that elicit strong tones and moods should be encouraged. I think certain plays, poems, and short stories that provide these attributes would be very effective for reader’s theatre. I would love to hear some specific titles that others in the class have found to work well in Reader’s Theatre.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment